Corn Biscuits and Sausage-n-Coffee Gravy
By: Lori - Denton, TX - 2016 Recipe Contest
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured Ingredient: Elite Espresso 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
For the gravy:
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- olive oil, if needed
- 4 T all-purpose flour
- 2 C milk
- 2 tsp. finely ground Door County Coffee Elite Espresso
- 30 grinds fresh pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Directions for Biscuits:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture crumbly. Stir in cheese and milk just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart onto a ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. (Makes 12 biscuits)
Directions for gravy:
- In a large skillet, sauté the sausage over medium heat until cooked through. If your sausage is lean and doesn't release much fat add about 1/2 T olive oil. Sprinkle with the flour. Stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Mix the espresso into the milk. Stir slowly into the sausage. Cook while stirring until thick and creamy. If it is too thick stir in a little more milk. Stir in the pepper. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Cut biscuits in half or leave whole and top with sausage and gravy.
Makes 12 biscuits with gravy.