Frequently Asked Questions
We get quite a few questions here at Door County Coffee - on a lot of different subjects from how we flavor coffees, to proper storage techniques and more. Here are the answers to the few of the most common requests that we hope you will find helpful. Or if you have question that is not answered here, simply click CONTACT US at the bottom of our web page and we will do our best to answer whatever is on your mind!
Scroll Down & Explore These Categories of Q & As Below:
• Using Our Coffee At Home
• Coffee Packaging
• Ingredients & Nutritional Information
• Finding Door County Coffee Near You
• About Our Coffee
• Visiting us in Door County
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR ORDER
Can I change an online order already placed?
To ship your freshly roasted coffee as soon as possible, we begin processing your order immediately after it is placed. This means that it is not possible to make any changes once you have completed your checkout and received an order confirmation. You can elect to place another separate order for any additional items that you would like. If you would like to cancel your order entirely, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-856-6613. We will make every effort to cancel your order if it has not already been processed.
Can I cancel my order?
To ship your freshly roasted coffee as soon as possible, we begin processing your order immediately after it is placed. If you would like to cancel your order, please contact us at email@example.com or call toll free 1-800-856-6613. We will make every effort to cancel your order if it has not already been processed.
Returns & Refunds
We truly do appreciate your business and always want you to be completely satisfied. While we are sorry if something about your order may not have met your expectations, we look forward to helping to turn that around and making your Door County Coffee experience a great one. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-856-6613 and our customer service team will be more than happy to help you resolve your concerns.
Real people answer the phones Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:00am – 4:30pm CST. Our offices are closed on Saturday and Sunday. If you are calling after hours, on holidays or on weekends, please leave a message and we will contact you on the next business day.
USING OUR COFFEE AT HOME
How much coffee should I use to make a pot of coffee?
Of course everyone has their own unique preferences for how strong they like their coffee, but we have created our full-pot bags to create what we believe to be the best-tasting pot of coffee for most folks. Simply use the 1.5oz as is measured out for you in the full-pot bags to make a fantastic 8-12 cup pot! Again, this can be adjusted per your personal preferences, but this is a great place to start.
Should I purchase Whole Bean or Ground coffee?
That, my friend, is really up to you, but here are a few tips that will help you make the best decision for YOU!
- Why Choose Wholebean?: Freshness is the key to great tasting coffee. Exposure to air will damage the fresh taste and grinding does expose the coffee to air. So, grinding your beans right before you brew is the best way to get the freshest coffee each and every time.
- Why Choose Ground?: For the convenience of course. When you purchase Door County Coffee already ground, it is ready for you to brew in minutes. With our superior packaging process combined with the fact that we do roast each and every day, you can be confident that is some of the freshest ground coffee out there!
What is the best way to store Door County Coffee to keep it fresh?
You are a smart coffee drinker to be asking this question! Storing your coffee properly is essential to keeping it at its maximum peak flavor so each and every cup you enjoy is just as good as the first.
Air, heat and light are the three main factors that will affect the freshness of coffee, so keeping it away from all three as much as possible is the key. Storing coffee in an airtight container in the freezer is the most ideal scenario, but an airtight container on your kitchen counter will also keep coffee fresh for quite some time. Of course, coffee will never really expire, but as time passes, if not stored correctly, coffee can lose the great taste you are hoping for.
What size bags of coffee are available for purchase?
Door County Coffee is available in many sizes for your drinking pleasure.
• Single Serve Cups - Single Serve Cup for Keurig Brewers® make a perfect cup and our best-selling coffees are currently available in this convenient size.
• 1.5oz Full-Pot Bags - For those who like the convenience of having the ground coffee all measured out to brew a perfect pot.
• 8oz or 10oz Bags - Ideal if you would like a little more coffee on hand (available in both wholebean and ground).
• 5 lb Bags - If you drink as much coffee as we do, the 5 lb bag is the ideal way to stock up on your favorite flavors in either whole bean or ground.
• All coffees are also available by the pound in our Cafe and Gift Store in Door County.
Is there supposed to be a plastic string in my bag of coffee?
Yes! That string that may seem out of place is there for a very good reason! After being roasted, coffee continues to give off natural gases for a time period. Since we package while our coffee is still very fresh, it will continue to release some gas after packaged. The plastic string you are seeing actually helps to release any air out of the bag to prevent it from exploding, but at the same time does NOT allow any air to creep in. Air is one of the main factors that will damage coffee's fresh taste, so it is important that we keep it out of the bag!
How fresh is the Door County Coffee I order on-line or purchase in a store?
Great question! We know that coffee begins to lose its flavor immediately after roasting if not packaged properly and consumed as close to the roasting date as possible. So...with that said, we do our best to get YOU to freshest coffee on the market!
• Packaging: All of our coffees are packaged with an air-tight seal that does not allow any exposure to air (air is a key contributor to damaging coffee's taste). With this unique sealing process, all of our packaged coffees will maintain their maximum flavor and taste for six months to one year.
• Distribution: We roast and ship coffee daily! There is very little inventory on hand so you can be assured that the coffee you order or purchase in a store has been freshly roasted to ensure the best taste experience for YOU!
INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
I have a special diet. What nutritional information is available for Door County Coffee?
No matter what the diet, Door County Coffee should not interfere! You will be happy to hear that all of our coffees contain 0 grams of sugar, fat, and carbs per 6oz serving!! Yes, even the deliciously amazing sounding flavors like Chocolate Caramel Truffle have 0 g of sugar! Drink Up!
How does the flavoring process work for flavored coffees?
Right after the coffee is roasted, while the beans are still warm to absorb the flavors, the beans are blended artfully with the best coffee flavorings in the industry.
What is your process for De-caffeinating your Decaf coffees?
The majority of our Door County Coffee is decaffeinated using the European Process which includes the following steps.
• European Process: Raw beans are soaked in water and the water is then treated with small traces of methyl chloride which removes the caffeine and leaves the flavor. The caffeine-free water is then reintroduced to the coffee. By the time the beans are roasted to almost 500 degrees, ground and brewed to almost 210 degrees, you cannot detect ANY trace of the chemical as the chemical burns off at just 140 degrees
Once the processes are complete, all of our coffees are approximately 98% caffeine free.
How much caffeine is contained in a 6 oz cup of Door County Coffee?
Door County Coffee uses only Specialty Class 1 Arabica Green Beans which are higher grown and more flavorful. With our medium degree of roast, most Door County Coffee contains about 70 mg. of caffeine per 6 oz. cup of coffee.
Here is the caffeine content in some other commmon items that also contain caffeine for comparison:
- 2 Tablets Aspirin – 30 mg
- 6 oz Canned Coffee – 138 mg
- 3 oz Dark Chocolate – 70 mg
- 12 oz Diet Coke – 45 mg
- 12 oz Mountain Dew – 55 mg
FINDING DOOR COUNTY COFFEE NEAR YOU
Why can't I find my favorite flavor at the local store?
Though we would love if Door County Coffee was available at each and every store in your neighborhood, we simply cannot be everywhere. However, you will find Door County Coffee in many grocery stores throughout the Midwest and other gift stores and markets nationwide. Most locations that carry Door County Coffee do carry our best-sellers, so you can be confident that the selection is the best of the best. They likely will not have every flavor in every size, however. If there is a specific coffee that you are interested in, visiting us here in Door County or purchasing on-line at doorcountycoffee.com is the easiest way to get exactly what you are looking for.
ABOUT OUR COFFEE
What countries do we get our coffee beans from?
Sumatra, Guatemala, Papa New Guinea, Peru, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia, Ethiopia, Java, Kenya, Tanzania, United States, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama and Honduras. This list does sometimes change based on the climate changes and other environmental factors that can impact the coffee bean crop in those countries.
What makes Door County Coffee Special?
We are a small, family-owned business, roasting coffee the old-fashioned way - in small batches to exacting specifications. Founded in 1993, our mission has always been to produce the best-tasting, highest quality coffee and deliver it to our customers with an unsurpassed level of customer service. To accomplish that, we use only Specialty Class 1 Arabica coffee beans, which are the top 2% of what is grown in the world! Combine that with our superior roasting technology - which we believe is the best in the industry - and you get a wonderfully even, perfect roast each and every time. As you can see, our passion is quality. We know we'll never be the biggest, but we believe we can be the best. Every one of our employees feels the same way too! No matter what their position in the company, they know they influence our product. We all want to make absolutely sure you are satisfied and do our best each and every day to make it so!
When are the seasonal coffees available for purchase?
We know how much you look forward to the introduction of the seasonal flavors each and every year. We are just as excited when they are roasted too! But, they are not available all year, and we think that is what makes it sooooo exciting!
So, when can you get your favorites? Here is a rough timeline to follow:
• Spring/Summer Coffees: March – July
• Fall Coffees: August – October
• Christmas Coffees: September – December
All Seasonal Coffees available while quantities last
VISITING US IN DOOR COUNTY
What are your hours at the Door County Cafe and Gift Store in Door County?
• 7 days a week 7:30am to 4:00pm
• Drive thru Open 7:30am to 4:00pm
• Serving Breakfast from 7:30am until 11:00am
• Serving Lunch from 11:00am until 3:00pm
(We are closed on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.)
Still have questions? Call us Toll Free 1-800-856-6613