Baked Blueberry Coffee Cristo
By: Teresa C. - Stephenville, TX - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"The Monte Cristo is a special and beloved sandwich, and this blueberry-based baked version that incorporates coffee at key points elevates it even more by infusing new layers of flavor throughout."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Blueberry Cobbler Coffee 8 oz. Ground
- 1 cup double strength brewed Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee, divided
- 1/3 cup blueberry jam or preserves, divided
- 8 slices cinnamon swirl bread
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries, divided
- 8 slices thin-sliced smoked ham
- 8 slices Gouda cheese
- 8 slices thin-sliced smoked turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat an oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the blueberry jam on each of 4 slices of bread. Top the jam with half the blueberries divided evenly among the bread slices. On top of the blueberries layer 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of Gouda, 2 slices of turkey, and 1 more slice of Gouda. Top with the remaining bread slices. Gently press the sandwiches together.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, flour, butter, salt, and two-thirds of the coffee. Whisk until smooth. Dip both sides of each sandwich into the egg mixture, letting each side soak for a few seconds. Place the sandwiches on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the sandwiches 16 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking when the bottoms have browned. Continue baking until the second side is golden brown.
- While the sandwiches are baking, place the remaining blueberry preserves, blueberries, and coffee in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the blueberries have cooked and the mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- When the sandwiches are done, remove them from the oven and dust them with the powdered sugar. Serve with the coffee blueberry sauce.