Candied Bacon Coffee Waffle Sandwich
By: Areli - Hopkins, MA - 2016 Recipe Contest
"This recipe is special because I was able to combine coffee, bacon and chocolate (is there anything better for breakfast?), plus the creaminess of a citrus soft cheese with walnuts and a hint of spicy. Blueberries and basil for freshness and for a total one bite breakfast experience.
Drizzling some sweet coffee and chocolate syrup and a hint of heat from the red pepper flakes brings a Latin twists dear to my heart and soul ;finishing with a touch of Mexican grater chocolate in memory of my mom. I hope you enjoy. We did!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Sinful Delight Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
For the waffles:
- 1/2 cup brewed Sinful Delight Door County Coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 canola oil
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
For the Candy Bacon:
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Sinful Delight Door County ground coffee
- 2 tbsp. water.
For the soft cream cheese:
- 4- oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tbsp. toasted walnuts
- 1tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. fresh blueberries
- 8 fresh basil leaves
For the syrup:
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. Sinful Delight Door County ground coffee
- 1 tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 round disc Mexican chocolate (to grate)
- 1 tbsp. toasted walnuts for garnish
For the waffles.
- Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl. Mix together coffee, milk, and sugar, and then add to the eggs. Beat in flour, oil, baking powder, and salt just until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Make 4 waffles.
For the Candy Bacon.
- Mix brown sugar, coffee grounds and water.
- Coat bacon with the mixture and let it rest.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lay bacon out flat on a baking sheet, Bake for 15 minutes or until desired crispness.
- While the bacon is baking, prepare cream cheese spread.
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese, walnuts, lime and pepper flakes together.
- Spread two waffles with cream mixture.
- Next, place a layer of basil and blueberries on top of each other.
- Place drained bacon on top of blueberries.
- Mix maple syrup, coffee, red pepper flakes and chocolate syrup together and brush the inside of the top waffle.
- Place waffle on top of the bacon. Drizzle more syrup and grate some Mexican chocolate with a grater. Sprinkle some toasted walnuts.