Cherry Cordial Coffee Cake
By: Lu H. - Hudson, WI - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"This chocolate cake is one of our family favorites. The addition of the coffee and the cherries from Door County punched it up from great to phenomenal!"
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured Ingredient: Chocolate Cherry Coffee 1.5 oz. Full Pot Bag
Featured ingredient: Cherry Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 1/2 C Door County Cherry Crème Coffee (prepared and cooled)
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 C mayonnaise
- Pinch of salt
Filling and Topping:
- 2 lbs. pitted Door County Cherries
- 1.5 oz. Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee grounds
- 3 Tbsp. corn starch
- Blend cake ingredients with an electric mixer. Pour into (2) two 9" round cake pans with parchment paper on the bottom. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to chill completely.
- Combine filling ingredients in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until thickened to the consistency of pie filling. Add additional corn starch a teaspoon at a time, if needed. Remove from heat and chill completely.
- Whip frosting ingredients together until soft peaks form.
- Top one cake with filling and then with the second cake. Pipe frosting around the top edge of the cake. Frost the sides of the cake. Top the cake with the remaining cherry filling.
- Serve with a hot cup of Door County Coffee!