Cherry Creme Black Forest Cake
By: Jamie - Rio Hondo, TX - Recipe Contest 2015
"I came up with this recipe after seeing the Cherry Creme coffee on the Door County Coffee website. I had a dear friend having a birthday who loves coffee and black forest cake. I used Cherry Creme coffee to make my recipe for mocha layer cake and layered it with Cherry pie filling and frosted it with whipped cream. It was such a hit that I was asked to make it for another party that same week. I hope you love it as much as my friends!"
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Cherry Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsps Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter, softened
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Strong Cherry Creme Coffee (I made strong coffee by adding 6 Tbsps of Cherry Creme coffee to my 4 cup French Press)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 quart Jar Cherry Pie Filling
- 3 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 tsp Meringue Powder (optional) Meringue powder is used to help stabilize whipped cream but, not necessary for a beautiful outcome
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and Flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter & 2 cups of sugar.
- Add eggs, Coffee, Sour Cream and 1 Tbsp of Vanilla and mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes our clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from cake pans and cool completely on racks.
- Combine whipping cream, 1 tsp Vanilla, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar & 1 Tbsp meringue powder (if using) in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form.
- Split each cake in half horizontally
- Place one cake layer on cake plate and frost with whipped cream.
- Top with second layer and cover with 1/2 pie filling.
- Top with Third layer of cake and frost with whipped cream.
- Top with fourth layer of cake and frost sides with Whipped cream.
- Cover top with final 1/2 of pie filling.
- Use leftover whipped cream in a decorating bag fitted with a star tip to decorate top and bottom edge.