Chocolate Tiramisu Crepe Cake
By: Linda Bonwill - Englewood, FL - 2nd Place Winner 2017
"I have always wanted to make a Crepe Cake. I knew the layers of cream would have to be light, not heavy in between the crepes for the cake to form and stand erect. My first choice were layers of vanilla custard and whipping cream. Yes, Tiramisu had to be it. Chocolate crepes flavored with coffee, Yum! Tying it all together with a rich, chocolate, shiny coffee glaze. It is the perfect combination for this perfect dessert."
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was also tested in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Lighthouse Blend Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
Chocolate Crepe Ingredients: Makes 40 (6) inch crepes
- 9 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strong Door County Coffee Lighthouse Blend Coffee
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
Vanilla Custard Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 16 ozs mascarpone cheese, softened
Whipping Cream Ingredients:
- 2 cups whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla, clear
- 8 ozs mascarpone cheese, softened
Chocolate Coffee Glaze:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS strong Lighthouse Blend coffee
- 2 TBS marsala wine
- 6 ozs dark melting chocolate
To make crepes:
- In large bowl whisk together all ingredients. Batter should be loose consistency.
- Heat 6 inch non stick skillet on med/high heat. Spray pan with cooking spray.
- approx. 1/4 cup of batter into pan. Swirl batter around pan, covering bottom. Place back onto burner. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Flip onto wax paper or parchment paper.
- Spray skillet and repeat process to make approx. (40), 6 inch crepes.
- Separate each crepe between wax paper. )Crepe may also be made the day before. Wrap well and refrigerate until ready to use.)
To make Vanilla Custard:
- In small saucepan mix yolks and sugar. Combine well.
- Turn burner on to med/high heat.
- Add whipping cream, stir. Cook until starts to boil, stirring.
- Remove from heat. Let cool for 30 mins.
- Add mascarpone cheese, stir well. Put aside.
To make whipping cream:
- Add whipping cream, sugar and vanilla to bowl. Beat on high until peaks form.
- Add mascarpone cheese. Beat well until combined. Put aside
To form crepe cake:
- Place one crepe onto serving cake plate. Line bottom of crepe with strips of wax paper to protect cake plate from getting dirty.
- Spread approx. 2 TBS of custard in center of crepe. Spread, thinning and completely covering the crepe.
- Place another crepe directly on top, pressing gently to adhere crepe to cream.
- Spread approx. 2 TBS whipping cream on top of crepe, spreading evenly covering crepe.
- Repeat process for remaining crepes switching back and forth from vanilla custard and whipping cream.
- End layers with plain crepe on top.
To make chocolate coffee glaze:
- In saucepan on med/high heat add cream, sugar, coffee and wine. Stir and heat for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate. Stir until completely melted. Let sit until starts to thicken.
- over top of cake letting glaze drip down sides.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove wax paper strips and clean excess chocolate from plate.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before slicing.
Note: Recipe may be cut in half.