Churro Flavored Oat Bread
By: Peter Sherrill - Forestville, Wisconsin - 2020
"This bread made with the Churro flavored coffee, giving it sweet tastes of sugar and cinnamon, making it perfect for breakfast toast or a bit of sweetness on a grilled cheese for lunch!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Churro Coffee Full-Pot Bag
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. Door County Coffee Churro blend
- 1cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed (optional, but recommended)
- 1 Tbsp. oat bran
- Pour boiling water over Churro blend in a press pot and steep for ten minutes. While coffee steeps, place rolled oats, flaxseed and oat bran in a medium heatproof bowl and stir together. Once coffee has steeped, pour over the other ingredients and allow to cool about ten minutes, until lukewarm.
For bread machine: place this mixture in the pan of the bread machine and add:
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp, or one package rapid-rise yeast
Set machine to “dough” cycle, the proceed as described below!
- For mixing by hand or mixer.
- Combine oatmeal-coffee blend with the ingredients listed above. Stir together to form a fairly sticky dough. Continue to mix/knead at least five minutes, then allow to rise in a warm place (covered with plastic wrap) until doubled.
- Turn risen dough and put onto a lightly floured board. Knead a minute or two, and form into a loaf shape. Place loaf in an oiled 5x9 bread pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place about 30 minutes, until top of loaf is about ½” above top of pan.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350º for about 35 minutes, to internal temperature of 190º or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn out of baking pan and cool on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing.