Cinnamon Hazelnut Mocha Icebox Cake
By: Jamie - Rio Hondo, TX - Recipe Contest 2015
"This started with a retro recipe from my childhood that was badly in need of updating. You wouldn't recognize this new version from the old. Everything has changed but, the love. I felt like something was missing from the new cake though. Then the pot size bag of Cinnamon Hazelnut coffee came and I made a small pot in my French press. That was it!!! I had to make this cake using the rest of the bag of coffee. It has made all this difference and added that "something" that took it from good to great!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Cinnamon Hazelnut Coffee Full-Pot Bag
- 1 cup 2X strength Door County Coffee Cinnamon Hazelnut coffee (use 1/2 the water you normally would to brew strong coffee)
- 1 cup Sugar - divided
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 16 ounces Cream Cheese - softened
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 (1pound 2 ounce) packages chocolate chip cookies
- Shaved semisweet chocolate - for garnish
Coffee simple syrup
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, whisk together Door County Coffee Cinnamon Hazelnut and 1/2 cup Sugar.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, whisking occasionally.
- Set aside to cool and refrigerate.
Cinnamon Hazelnut Mocha whipped cream
- In a large bowl combine heavy cream, cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup of cold Coffee syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Mix on low speed with electric mixer and then slowly raise the speed as mixture thickens until it forms stiff peaks.
- To assemble cake, arrange cookies flat in a 9-inch spring form pan, covering the bottom as much as possible. You may need to break some to fill in holes.
- Spread one fourth of the mocha whipped cream evenly over cookies.
- Place another layer of cookies on top, lying flat and touching.
- Follow with another fourth of whipped cream. Continue layering cookies and cream until you have four layers, ending with whipped cream.
- Smooth top, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.
- To Serve: Run a sharp knife around the outside of the cake and remove the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the top with shaved semisweet chocolate, cut into wedges and serve cold.