Coffee & Donuts French Toast
By: Felice - Raleigh, NC - 2016 Recipe Contest
"You can never have enough coffee with your breakfast!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Vanilla Creme Brulee Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- ½ c. mascarpone, at room temperature
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- Pinch ground mace
- 6 slices challah, ½ - ¾-inch thick
- ½ c. brewed Vanilla Creme Brulee coffee, at room temperature
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, plus additional if desired
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Make the filling:
- Combine filling ingredients in a small bowl, whisking until smooth.
- Cut a pocket in each slice of bread and spread about 2 Tbs. filling in each pocket.
- Whisk together the coffee, cream, and eggs and pour into a shallow dish.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat and add about half the butter.
- Dip each side of stuffed bread in the coffee mixture and let it soak briefly. Place bread on the griddle and cook about 2 minutes per side.
- Add remaining butter and repeat with remaining bread slices. Serve hot with additional butter or a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, as desired. serves 6