Coffee-Toffee Cremes with Bourbon-Brown Sugar Almonds
By: Ellen V. - Gloucester, MA - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Black and Tan Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup strong brewed Door County Black and Tan Coffee
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon Smoked-Bourbon Brown Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Grind and brew Black and Tan coffee, preferably in a French Press, using one and one-half times the usual amount ground coffee
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and salt
4. In a saucepan, combine the light cream and sugar and bring to a simmer to melt the sugar. Remove from heat and add 1 cup brewed coffee.
5. Gradually pour the cream-coffee mixture into the eggs, whisking continually
6. Strain mixture into a pouring bowl or large measuring cup
7. Place 4 6-ounce (or 6 4-ounce) ramekins into a baking dish or shallow pan and fill with the custard mixture.
8. Then pour hot water into the dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover dish with aluminum foil and place into the oven.
9. Bake about 40 minutes or until cremes are just barely set in the centers. Remove ramekins from pan.
10. In a small skillet, toast almonds until beginning to lightly brown, a few minutes.
11. Add bourbon-smoked brown sugar and toss to coat the nuts as the sugar melts, but do not allow to burn. Remove nuts to a small dish.
12. Sprinkle each of the cremes with a portion of the almonds.
13. Place one whole bean in the center of each creme.
14. Serves four (6 ounce) or 6 (four ounce) portions.