Dark Bacon Jam Burger
By: Breanna - Dallas, GA - 2016 Recipe Contest
"Bacon jam is also delicious poured over cream cheese and scooped up with crackers or corn chips or layered on crostini with pimento cheese!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Dark Voyage 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 TB Intense Dark Ground Coffee (finely ground)
- 1 TB brown sugar, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 1/2 lb thick cut peppered bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 TB balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB bourbon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup strong brewed Intnese Dark Ground Coffee
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 TB stone ground Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 4 Brioche hamburger buns
To prep coffee rub:
- Mix all ingredients together in a re-sealable jar.
To prep bacon jam:
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Cut bacon into small pieces, add half the bacon to the skillet and cook until crisp, use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to drain on papertowels.
- Repeat with remaining bacon, drain all but 1-2 TB of bacon grease from pan, turn heat to medium.
- Cook onion until translucent, add garlic and cook 30 seconds until fragrant, add bourbon and vinegar to deglaze pan making sure to scrap all the darkened bits from the bottom of the pan
- Return bacon to the skillet and add all remaining ingredients, bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for 20-30 min until reduced/thickened, set aside to cool, extra bacon jam should be refrigerated.
- Use hands to mix ground beef with 4 tsp of coffee rub.
- Form mixture into four hamburger patties. Grill burgers over high heat for 3 minutes and flip and grill for another 5-6 minutes depending on preferred doneness. Remove burgers from grill.
To Assemble: Layer each bun bottom with one hamburger patty, 1 ounce of crumbled goat cheese, and generous helping of bacon jam, put bun top in and enjoy!