Door County Cherry Slaw
By: Linda Bonwill - World Class Cookin
Life is a bowl of cherries, then you add slaw! Big score with this idea!
Cole Slaw as a side with a hot dog, burger, or fish sandwich. How about on a fish sandwich or grilled Reuben sandwich? Slaw is just one of those delicious menu items you can't do without. But have you ever added cherries?
Fresh cherries are not always easy to find. We use them whenever we can get our hands on them. Dried cherries are always a good thing to have in stock. Here is a trick to moisten them up. Soak the dried cherries in hot coffee. Within minutes you will have plump, moist cherries to add to any dish.
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Cherry Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup cherry creme coffee, hot
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 TBSP cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP sugar, white
- 3 TBSP red onion, chopped fine
- 3 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper
- 14 ozs slaw mix
- In a small bowl add the hot coffee to the cherries. Let them sit while you mix the slaw dressing.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the remaining ingredients except the slaw mix. Mix together well
- Drain the coffee liquid from the cherries. Add the cherries and slaw to the dressing. Toss and chill until ready to eat.