Double Chocolate Candy Cane Coffee Cookies
By: Carrie Sherrill
Peppermint and chocolate have long been a favorite pairing and the addition of coffee in these cookies creates a perfect trifecta. Don't forget the Christmas sprinkles!!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Candy Cane Coffee 8 oz. Ground
Strong Coffee for cookies and icing:
- 3 Tbsp. Door County Candy Cane Coffee
- ½ cup Boiling water
- Steep 10 minutes, strain. Set aside to cool.
- ½ cup shortning
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Reserved strong coffee
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa (I use Ghirardelli brand)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chunks
- 1 cup roasted, salted pistachio nuts
- 4 Tbsp. Butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 Tbsp. Reserved strong coffee
- 2 Tbsp. Light cream (Half & Half)
- 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp Peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortning and butter together. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Next add eggs, coffee and extracts.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients gradually to batter in bowl until combined.
- By hand, stir in chocolate chunks and nuts
- Drop onto parchment lined baking sheet, approx.. ¼ cup each or use scoop.
- Press down lightly with damp fingers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on rack.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter until soft. Add remaining ingredients alternating dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Frost cooled cookies.
- Garnish with crushed candy canes or chopped pistachios if desired.