Double Shot Chocolate Cake with Coffee Bourbon Drizzle
By: Kathi Hemmer - Grand Junction, CO - 2nd Place Winner 2016
"I love coffee, I love chocolate, and I love cake! I also love to have a great cup of rich Black and Tan coffee with my cake, so, I have combined the best of all, coffee, chocolate and hint of sweet and smooth coffee bourbon sauce! All married so well together, creating an outstanding taste combination and the perfect compliment to any dinner."
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was also tested in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Black and Tan Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- ¾ t salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup Door County Black & Tan brewed, very hot
- 5 T butter room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ t ground Espresso powder
- 2 T bourbon, for the coffee chocolate shavings
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 t fine ground Door County Black and Tan
- Oven to 350 degrees,
- Grease and flour 9 inch baking pan
- Combine first 6 dry ingredients in large bowl
- In separate bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, oil and whisk to a lumpy consistency, add to the large bowl.
- Pour in hot brewed Black & Tan, and blend until batter is smooth
- Transfer to baking pan, bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done
- Remove cake from oven and cool
- Make coffee bourbon sauce by melting butter on med high heat, add brown sugar stir till smooth, add coffee powder and bourbon, stir un till combined, turn heat to medium and whisk in heavy cream, cool,
- To make coffee chocolate, melt chocolate chips, stir in fine ground Black and Tan coffee, spread on parchment paper to cool.
- Drizzle the sauce over cooled cake and then shave the coffee chocolate over the top for that added “kick”