End of the Rainbow Triple Mocha Cappuccino Cake
By: Brenda - Negaunee, MI - 2016 Recipe Contest
"This is a dark mocha cake with a creamy mocha filling topped with stabilized whipped cream and coffee syrup, as good as gold. For the last step I directed 1 or 2 tablespoon of the coffee syrup and that would be an appropriate amount but I have to say that’s my favorite element and I probably had ¼ cup of syrup on my serving when all was said and done. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed creating it!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Dark Voyage 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup hot Door County Dark Voyage Coffee (1.5 ounce packet prepared with 9 ounces of water. *This preparation of the coffee is to make it strong enough to stand up to the cocoa and the 9th ounce will be lost in the grounds)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter melted and cooled
Whipped topping ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sifted confectioner sugar
Coffee syrup ingredients:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup prepared Door County Dark Voyage Coffee (1.5 ounce packet prepared with 16 ounces water, will use the rest of this prep in another element of this dessert)
Chocolate coffee cream ingredients:
- 3.56 ounce package of instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of reserve Door County Dark Voyage prepared
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 6 oven proof cappuccino mugs and place them on a baking sheet.
- Using a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk cocoa and hot coffee in a large bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, vanilla and butter and whisk. Add eggs and whisk.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared cappuccino mugs and bake on the baking sheet at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each one comes out clean. Remove from oven and remove mugs from baking tray to a rack to cool.
Whipped topping directions:
- In a small pan, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat; cool but don’t allow to set.
- Whip the cream with the confectioners’ sugar until slightly thick. While slowly beating, add the gelatin to the whipping cream, whip at high speed until stiff.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Coffee syrup directions:
- Place sugar and coffee in a small sauce pan and heat to simmering until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool to room temperature and place in a sealed jar until ready to use.
Chocolate coffee cream directions:
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients with a hand mixer until medium-stiff peaks form. Set aside in the refrigerator to chill and set for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the Chocolate coffee cream in a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton 2A tip and insert the tip into the center of each mug of cake in fill with 1/6 of the contents, repeat for each mug of cake.
- Place the Whipped topping in a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton 1M tip. Swirl the topping onto each of the filled cakes.
- Drizzle 1- 2 tablespoons of the coffee syrup on top of each cappuccino and serve, Serves 6.