Espresso Ice Cream with Hazelnut Brittle and Mini Funnel Cakes
By: Rochelle V. - Ovideo, FL - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Elite Espresso 10oz. Bag Ground
Vanilla Ice Cream:
- 1 cup Door County Coffee Espresso, chilled
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch salt
Cocoa Nibs & Hazelnut Brittle:
- 1 tsp finely ground Door County Coffee Espresso
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 3 tablespoon coca nibs
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Chocolate Sauce
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup water
Mini Funnel Cake:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder for garnish
Vanilla Ice Cream:
- Whisk heavy cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a medium sized bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Pour into an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- After the ice cream is made, put into a container. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn syrup and Door County Coffee Espresso grounds.
- Spread mixture thinly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle corn syrup mixture with cocoa nibs and hazelnuts.
- Bake at 375º for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely, then break into pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream and sugar until mixture reaches stiff peaks.
- Put in a container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix together all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Cook at medium heat until mixture begins to simmer.
- Continue cooking at a simmer until mixture is reduced by half.
- In a medium bowl beat egg, milk, water and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and beat until smooth using either electric mixer or wire whisk.
- Heat oil to 375° in a heavy pan.
- Place a 3” food ring mold in the oil ensuring it is ¾ of the covered in oil.
- Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/4 cup batter into the funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the oil in the ring, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released.
- Once funnel has started to brown on the bottom and sides, about 1-2 minutes, use tongs to remove the ring and turn the funnel cake over. Allow cake to cook another minute or until golden brown.
- Repeat above process until all batter is used.
- Place powdered sugar in sifter and sift over cooled funnel cakes.
Espresso with Vanilla Ice Cream and Brittle:
- Divide expresso into 6 expresso cups.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream on top of the expresso in each cup.
- Sprinkle a little cocoa powder on top of the whipped cream.
- Lay a piece of brittle across the top of each cup and top with a small scoop of ice cream.
- Arrange powdered sugar dusted funnel cakes on plate and drizzle with chocolate syrup as desired.