Favorite Cookies with Heavenly Brown Butter Caramel Coffee Icing
By: Donna - Hamilton, NJ - 2016 Recipe Contest
"In my family, we call these Favorite Cookies because they are! For my big brother's 50th birthday, I gave him a huge tin with a double recipe of these iced beauties, calling it the bottomless cookie tin, "bottomless" because he could send it back to me as many times as he wanted that year to have it refilled. The Door County Heavenly Caramel enhances the butterscoth flavor of the cookie and the brown butter flavor of the icing."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Heavenly Caramel Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 stick salted butter (4 ounces) softened
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon extra strong Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup pecan halves to garnish
- Heavenly Brown Butter Caramel Coffee Icing
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons or more Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually. Beat in eggs.
- Stir flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream with the sour cream to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Blend in vanilla, Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee, and chopped pecans.
- Drop by teaspoon on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from sheet and cool on a cookie rack
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat until it foams and brown bits appear on the bottom. It will smell very nutty. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Blend in confectioners’ sugar and add vanilla.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons hot Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee. Add more until the icing is the right consistency to spread smoothly.
- Spread over cooled cookies with a small butter knife or offset spatula. Garnish with a pecan half if desired. Add more hot water to the icing as needed.