Gluten-Free Date Nut Bread
By: Linda Bonwill - World Class Cooking
Memories Last Forever!
This recipe brings me back to my childhood years in New England. I remember Mom buying this bread, which was sold at the Deli counter at the grocery store. Other companies made this bread, baked in a can. It was such a satisfying treat.
I wanted my childhood memories to never end. I was determined to create a similar bread that would take me back in time. I knew I couldn't go wrong with adding additional flavors such as Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee. The aroma and taste of freshly-baked cinnamon buns and their gooey gooeyness really deliver, incorporated into this recipe.
Toast it or eat it like as is, it doesn't matter. It's soft and moist and full of flavor. Date nut bread is the "anytime" snack, dessert, or breakfast bread.
Featured Product: Frosted Cinnamon Buns 8 oz ground coffee
- 8ozs dates (whole)
- 2 1/4 cups Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee, brewed
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (reserve 1/4 cup)
- Add the dates to a large mixing bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the date, making sure the dates emerge. Let it sit for 30 mins.
- Add the dates and coffee to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add the contents back to the mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla to the bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer) for 1 - 2 mins
- Add all the dry ingredients, except the walnuts, to a separate bowl. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and beat with the electric mixer for 2 mins. Fold in 3/4 cups of the walnuts with a spatula, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Add half of the batter to each of the baking pans. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining walnuts. Bake for approx. 35-40 mins., or until done in the center. Cool before slicing.
- To test for doneness: Insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf. The toothpick should be cleaned from wet batter after it is removed.
- If using non-gluten-free flour, omit the Psyllium husk