Good Morning "Joe" Farro
By: Jean D. - Englewood, NJ - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"There's nothing better than making a homemade hot breakfast or brunch for my family. When everyone is typically in a rush to getting to work or school, I like to make this the night before so In the morning it's just as quick as pouring a bowl of cereal. I also like making this for just a cold fall weekend when we eat more around brunch time after sleeping in a little! We call it good morning Joe farro as a play on the word Joe for coffee and farro for the grain."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Autumn Spice Coffee 8 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup spelt berries (find in bulk grain section in supermarket or it's also called faro and is in pasta section)
- 1 1/4 cups Door County Autumn Spice Coffee
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 2 tsp Hemp heart seeds (found in grain section or use chia seeds or flaxseed meal)
- Pistachio nuts
- Dried berries (any raisins, cranberries, cherries, or fresh seasonal fruit)
- In a medium saucepan, soak spelt berries in coconut milk and coffee for a few minutes prior to cooking.
- Let it come to a boil and cook for 15 minutes covered.
- Stir and lower heat to simmer for another 20 minutes, keep covered but stir and check occasionally. If it gets too dry add a little more coconut milk or coffee but, it should be creamy.
- Add the cinnamon and ground ginger when it's finished cooking and serve it in two bowls.
- Add a tsp of the hemp hearts in each bowl and sprinkle with the dried cherries and pistachio nuts.
(The cooked spelt can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, add hemp, berries, and nuts prior to serving.)