Grilled Cheese Steak Sandwich with Caramelized Coffee Mushrooms & Onions
By: Chera - Cedar Park, TX - Recipe Contest 2015
"Your taste buds will sing at the layers of flavor that the coffee adds to this grilled cheese!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Elite Espresso 10 oz. Bag Ground
Onions and Mushrooms:
- 2 teaspoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons for the grilled cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil , 2 teaspoons for the grilled cheese
- 1 large white and purple onion, sliced in fourths, approximately 1/2 cup each
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 1 tablespoon Marsala cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon Brewed Door County Coffee Elite Espresso
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 5 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, plus 1 tablespoon for the steak
- 1-10 ounce ribeye steak, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon sumac powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Door County Elite Espresso, finely ground
- 3 teaspoons hickory smoked sea salt, plus 2 teaspoons for the mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4-1 ounce slices Wisconsin Baby Swiss Cheese
- 4 slices Wisconsin Gouda Cheese
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves
- 2 thin ciabatta rolls, split
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 2 tsps olive oil
- Bring a propane grill or indoor grill to high heat, approximately 450°
- Using a cast iron skillet, add the mushrooms and dry cook until the water releases and mushrooms begin to brown, approximately 8 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Add the butter and oil to the skillet and heat for 3 - 4 minutes before adding the onions. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally until the they begin to darken.
- Carefully add the liqueur, cooking wine, vinegar and reserved cooked mushrooms. Heat for 6 to 8 minutes to incorporate the liquids.
- Remove skillet from heat and cover to keep warm.
- While the onions cook, coat the steak on both sides with the seasonings (sumac, coffee, salt, and paprika) Add to the hottest part of the grill and cook to medium rare, approximately 5 minutes on first side and 3 minutes on second or until desired temperature is reached.
- Remove and let rest.
To assemble and cook:
- Cut the steak into medium thick long slices.
- Layer the bottom cut side of bread with 2 slices each of the Swiss and Gouda cheese.
- Top with arugula, steak slices, mushroom and onion mixture, the last slices of cheese and the top bun.
- Heat the skillet again over high heat, adding the butter and olive oil.
- Add the sandwich, press and cook over high heat for 5 minutes or until brown.
- Flip, add lid, and heat until the cheese is melted.
Enjoy it while it's hot!