Grilled Moroccan Chicken
Grilled Moroccan Chicken (With Coffee Cherry BBQ Sauce)
By: Linda Bonwill - World Class Cooking
This simple, marinated chicken recipe is loaded with many delicious African spices and flavors you might be familiar with. Many of them you have in your kitchen pantry.
Of course, we put a little unexpected twist on this recipe. We marinated the chicken with cinnamon-flavored coffee and sweetened it with cherry juice I had leftover from a used-up jar of cherries. This recipe has the perfect depth of taste and flavor. It's a fun and easy recipe to make and pairs so well with so many side dishes. You can even make this bbq ahead of time and grill your meat later.
What are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients, and let's get cooking!
This is a fan-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee, brewed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or another sugar substitute)
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup cherry juice, all-natural
- 2 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1-star anise
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 -12 skinless/boneless chicken thighs (seasoned with salt)
- Brew a pot of Frosted Cinnamon Buns coffee. Add two cups of hot coffee to a medium-size bowl.
Add the brown sugar and tomato paste. Stir until dissolved. Stir in all remaining ingredients (except the chicken). Gently add the chicken into the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on a plate. Place a tight-woven strainer on top of a saucepan. Strain the spices from the liquid by pouring the liquid into the tight woven strainer. Pour any excess liquid from the chicken dish into the saucepan. (Discard the strained spices)
- Place the saucepan on the stovetop and simmer on low heat until it thickens. (approx. 15-20 mins)
- How To Grill The Chicken: Grease the grill grates with olive oil. Heat the grill on High. When the grill is hot, turn the temperature down to Med/High. Place the chicken onto the hot grill grates. Brush bbq sauce on top of the chicken. Cook the chicken for approx. 6-8 mins or until charred. Flip the chicken over and sauce on the other side. Cook for an additional 6-8 mins or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Serve with extra bbq sauce.