Grown up Suzie Q’s Kissed with Coffee
By: Linda Bonwill
Who remembers Suzy Q's cake growing up? I remember eating a package for lunch in Junior High School at least a couple of days a week. We won't tell Mom, though, will we? It is hard not to reflect back on childhood memories; heck, it is a part of our past. I decided to make a copycat version of these old-time favorites. They were a huge hit among friends and family. I added a few additional upgrades to adapt to the Adult lifestyle.
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Dark Voyage Coffee
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
2 cups flour. (I used gluten-free All-Purpose)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, beaten (room temperature)
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 coconut milk or buttermilk
1 cup (extra strong) Dark Voyage brewed coffee (cool)
Ingredients for Marshmallow Cream:
7 ozs marshmallow fluff, slightly warm
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, soft
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for Basic Chocolate Coffee Glaze:
1 cup dark chocolate morsels
2 TBS heavy cream
2 TBS extra-strong brewed coffee
Instructions for Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the wells of a cupcake tray. (Recipe makes 20-24 cakes)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Put aside
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla, oil, coconut milk, and coffee
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer, or whisk by hand until fully incorporated. Fill the well with the batter 1/2 way. Bake for approx. 13-15 mins. Cool completely. Slice in half, lengthwise.
- Add approx. 2-3 TBS of icing on top of the bottom half of the cake, depending on the size and shape of your cake. Cover the icing with the top half of the cake to seal.
- Pour approximately — 1 TBS of chocolate glaze on top of the cake. Sprinkle sea salt flakes on top as a garnish.
Notes for cake:
1. You can also use store-bought box cake mix. Just substitute the water for brewed coffee.
2. You can use regular-size cupcake wells or purchase square ones.
3. I use a 3-4 oz cookie scoop to fill the cupcake wells.
Instructions for Marshmallow Cream:
1. Mix all ingredients together until fluffy.
Instructions for Glaze:
1. Add all the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for approx. 45 seconds. Whisk together vigorously until smooth.