Ham & Grits with Coffee Gravy
By: Aaron B. - 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
A savory breakfast dish made with the Door County Coffee dark roast of your choice, ham and grits. Add a fried egg and a side of fresh fruit, or toast for the perfect start to your day!!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Elite Espresso 10 oz. Bag Ground
Ham & Coffee Gravy
- 1 (3-Pound) Country Ham, store bought, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fat from Ham
- ½ C. Door County Coffee Dark Roast, extra strong
- ¼ C. water
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 C. water
- 1 ¼ C. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 C. Quick Cooking Grits (not instant)
- ½ C. butter
Serve with a fried egg, a side or toast or fresh fruit on the side
- In a small pot, bring water, milk and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir the grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and thoroughly until the grits are well mixed. Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with lid, lower the temperature and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary. Grits are done when they have a smooth consistency.
- Stir in ¼ cup of butter into the grits.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the fat from the ham and render.
- Add ham slices and pan-fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate & keep warm.
- Add the Door County Coffee and water to the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the butter and bouillon cube and stir to incorporate.
- Divide grits into 4 equal servings on plates and top grits with cooked ham slices, coffee gravy and a pat of the remaining butter.
- Optional: Serve with a fried egg, a side or toast or fresh fruit on the side.