Heavenly Chocolate Cake
By: Cheryl - Bain, WI - Recipe Contest 2015
"The best chocolate cake ever! :)"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Lighthouse Blend Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for pans)
• 2 cups sugar
• 3/4 cups good cocoa powder
• 1/3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup veg oil
• 2 extra large eggs at room temp
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup freshly brewed hot Door County Coffee Lighthouse Blend coffee
• 6 oz good semisweet chocolate
• 1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
• 1 extra large egg yolk at room temp
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/1/4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
• 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1. Preheat the oven to 325°
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
3. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla, mix on low speed slowly.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, with mixer still on low.
5. Add the Door County Coffee Lighthouse Blend coffee and stir just to combine.
6. Bake in a 9x 13 cake pan for 35-40 min or until cake tester comes out clean.
1. Chop the chocolate and place it in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stir until just melted and set aside until cooled to room temp.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on med-high speed until light yellow and fluffy (about 3 min).
3. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue beating for 3 min,
4. Turn the mixer to low, gradually add the confectioners sugar, then beat at med speed, until smooth and creamy.
5. Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of the HOT tap water.
6. On low speed, add the chocolate and coffee powder to the butter mixture and mix until blended. Don't whip!
7. Spread immediately on the cooled cake.