Mexican Hot Mocha Chili
By: Lidia - Pasadena, CA - 2016 Recipe Contest
"This whimsical chili recipe is a play on the popular Mexican hot chocolate. The blend of Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns coffee, brown sugar, ancho chili and Mexican chocolate, along with other tantalizing ingredients, will bring enchantment to your day!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 dried ancho chili pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 pound ground pork
- 12 oz Mexican beef chorizo (removed from casing)
- 1 large finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup double strength Door County Frosted Cinnamon Bun brewed coffee
- 1 - 28 oz can pinto beans (drained)
- 1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup finely grated Mexican chocolate (divided)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream (for topping)
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, soak ancho chili for 20 minutes in water.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven brown pork and chorizo (about 10 minutes); add onions and sauté for another 5 minutes; add chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Remove chili from water and pull off the stems; slice open lengthwise to scrape out seeds; reserve 2 tbsp of liquid.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, blend hydrated ancho chili, reserved ancho liquid and coffee till pepper is completely puréed (about 1 minutes); pour into pork and chorizo mixture; add beans, tomato sauce, 1/4 cup grated chocolate and sugar; simmer over medium/low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, grated chocolate and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!