Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
By: Linda Bonwill - World Class Cooking
No need to purchase those expensive pumpkin spices. All the flavor is right here in this flavored Fall Pumpkin Spice coffee.
Fluffy Pillows filled with a slightly sweet cream are the perfect dessert sandwiches for all ages. Serve these to guests at a party, or save them for yourself. These little pies can also be wrapped individually and kept frozen until ready to thaw. This is a great way to enjoy these treats ALL Year long.
Stock up on your Pumpkin Spice coffee now, before it's gone.
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Pumpkin Spice Coffee 8 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup pumpkin, cannned
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 TBSP butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pumpkin Spice coffee, brewed strong, room temp (divided)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP butter, room temp
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Brew a pot of Door County Pumpkin Spice coffee. Measure 1 cup to cool. Reserve 2 TBS of the brewed coffee for cream. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slightly grease two baking sheets.
- Whisk the pumpkin eggs, sugar, vanilla and butter in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the brewed coffee (minus 2 TBSP, saving it for later)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix for 1 minute with an electric beater. Scrap down the side with a rubber spatula and fold into batter.
- Scoop approx. 1/4 cup batter onto a baking sheet 2 inches apart. (each sheet should fit 12 scoops). I use a cookie/ice cream scoop for even sizes. Spray the measuring cup or scoop with cooking spray for easy release. Bake for 25-30 mins. Remove from the oven and cool before assembling.
- To Make Filling: Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, 2 TBS room temp butter and 2 TBS brewed coffee with an electric mixer. Add the cream to a piping bag. (Note: Pair together two cakes according to shape and size to ensure a great fit)
- Scoop approx. 3 TBSP of cream around the top of one of the cakes. Gently press another cake on top of the cream, making a sandwich. Continue this step with the remaining cakes. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Makes 24 pies/cakes (12 total, assembled)
Note: If using Gluten Free All Purpose flour add 1 TBS psyllium husk (or ground flaxseed) and 1 tsp xanthan gum to the flour.