Savory Sweet Sausage Stuffing
By: Linda Bonwill - World Class Cooking
Secrets are meant to keep quiet, but we aren't afraid to tell. Go ahead and buy that boxed stuffing mix. It contains spices and bread cubes you need to make this wonderful stuffing recipe.
But what is the secret? Because we added additional ingredients, such as sausage, raisins, and pecans, we needed to add more spice. We did just that by adding Bourbon Pecan Pie Coffee. This delicious blend of coffee is infused with an indulgent blend of flavors, such as brown sugar, sweet cream butter, pecans, and bourbon.
What would you serve this savory stuffing with? We love poultry, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Bourbon Pecan Pie Coffee 8 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups Bourbon Pecan Pie Coffee, brewed
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped fine
- 1 cup sweet onions, chopped fine
- 1 lb Italian sweet sausage (or spicy), casings removed
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 TBSP butter
- 10 ozs box stuffing mix (with seasoning pack)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves, fresh, chopped
- Brew a pot of Bourbon Pecan Pie coffee. Add 2 cups of coffee to a bowl. Stir in the raisins and bouillon, occasionally stirring until the bouillon is dissolved. Let the raisins sit for 15 mins.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a skillet, on med/high temp. Stir in the celery and carrots. Saute for 5 mins. Add in the onions and sausage. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Saute until the sausage is done (approx. 10 mins). Add the pecans, butter, coffee with raisins, and seasoning pack from box stuffing. Fold in the bread cubes making sure to coat well. Remove off the burner and cover. Let it sit for 15 minutes, allowing the bread to absorb the liquid.
- Add the stuffing to a large bowl. When the stuffing is cooled down. Fold in the beaten eggs. (This step is essential. If you had the egg with hot ingredients, the egg would cook and scramble)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the stuffing mixture to a greased baking dish. Cover and bake for 15 mins. Remove the cover and bake for another 15 mins.
Serve the stuffing with your favorite poultry