Sinful Chocolate Pizzolis
By: Lu H. - Hudson, WI - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"Coffee infused pizzelle and cannoli hibrids! The licorice flavor of the pizzelle cookie pairs perfectly with the coffee flavor in the filling and topping!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Sinful Delight Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 C butter
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 C flour
- 1 small container anise seeds
- 1.5 oz. Door County Coffee Sinful Delight Coffee grounds
- 3/4 C ricotta cheese
- 3/4 C mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C agave nectar
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Door County Coffee Chocolate Caramel Truffle coffee grounds
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1. Combine Door County Sinful Delight Coffee grounds and agave nectar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it just starts to boil. Stir constantly. Continue stirring at a low boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Combine remaining ingredients for filling in a small boil. Strain Sinful Delight paste through cheesecloth into mixture. Combine completely using an electric mixer. Store in Ziploc bag and place in refrigerator.
3. Blend ingredients for topping in a small bowl using electric mixer. Store in Ziploc bag and place in refrigerator.
4. In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, combine pizzelle ingredients until batter is thick and very sticky. Add additional flour if needed.
5. Heat pizzelle iron to highest level. Butter top and bottom of iron and place 1 Tbsp. of batter in center and close. Cook until pizzelle just starts to brown - appx. 3 minutes.
6. Remove pizzelle immediately and while still hot wrap around the handle of the wooden spoon to form a cannoli shell. Invert on a sheet of newspaper so seam is down and allow shell to cool while you make the next pizzelle.
7. Allow shells to cool completely. Clip the corner of the Ziploc bag for the filling and fill the shell from each side. Clip the corner of the topping bag and top the filled cannoli.
8. These treats can be stored for up to five days covered in the refrigerator.