By: Cynthia - Evansville, IN - 2016 Recipe Contest
"I layer these is individual serving bowls and serve for special occasions."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Elite Espresso 10 oz. Bag Ground
Cheese Filling (in place of Mascarpone)
- 8 oz. softened Neufchatel cheese
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
In a medium bowl, mix together the Neufchatel cheese, heavy cream and butter until blended smooth. Use in place of mascarpone in any recipe.
- 1 yellow cake (prepared as directed on package), cut into small cubes. (You may use gluten free*)
- 1 recipe of Cheese Filling mixture
- 2 pkg. sugar free White Chocolate Flavor JELLO Pudding Mix
- 1-1/2 c. 2% milk
- 1 c. cold strong Door County Elite Espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp. amaretto liquor
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 4 cups fresh sliced strawberries, divide
- 1/2 c. cold prepared Door County Elite Espresso coffee
- 2-3 tsp. baking cocoa (I use Hershey Special Dark)
- Chocolate covered espresso beans
- Beat cheese mixture and 1 pkg. (1 oz. each) JELL-O White Chocolate Flavor Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Pudding with 1-1/1 c. 2% milk and 1 cup strong Intense Dark coffee in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth
- Beat in amaretto liquor on low speed; set aside
- Beat whipping cream in chilled small bowl on high speed until soft peaks form then fold into cheese mixture
- Fold cake cubes into ½ of cheese mixture until mixed
- Arrange half of the cake cube mixture on bottom of a round bowl (8 inch diameter works)
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of the coffee over cake cubes and spread half of strawberries over cake cubes
- Spread half of the cheese mixture (no cake cubes) over sliced strawberries. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. baking cocoa
- Arrange remaining cake cubes mixture on cheese mixture layer. Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup espresso. Spread with last half of strawberries. Spread with remaining cheese mixture (no cake cubes).
- Sift or sprinkle cocoa over top of trifle. Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours before serving. Store covered in refrigerator
- Garnish top with chocolate covered espresso beans in an attractive pattern before serving
- This can be made with frozen sliced peaches in place of strawberries.
*I add ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce to the gluten free cake mix to make a moister cake.