Turmeric Coffee French Toast with Cafe Mocha Jam
By: Hidemi W. - Centreville, VA - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"I love to add something besides sugar and milk to my coffee. I have heard that turmeric is good for your brain health and also works for coffee. When I tried it, I loved it and thought it would make delicious French toast with that. I was right! To make it more delicious, I made café mocha jam and created this recipe. Very indulgent breakfast!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Breakfast Blend Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1/3 cup Strong brewed Door County Breakfast Blend Coffee (10 oz. Bag Ground)
- 1/4 cup Strong brewed Door County Breakfast Blend Coffee (10 oz. Bag Ground)
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Granulated sugar
- 4 slices Italian bread (1/4-inch thick each)
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Whipped cream and cinnamon sugar, for serving
Café Mocha Jam:
- In a saucepan, put 1/4 cup of Door County Breakfast Blend Coffee, milk, cocoa powder and granulated sugar. Turn on the heat to medium-low and stir until all ingredients are combined and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in honey until combined well. Then remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/3 cup of milk, 1/3 cup of coffee, turmeric and 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar then transfer the mixture into a medium-large baking dish, such as 9x13-inch glass baking dish.
- Spread the café mocha jam on one side of 2 slices bread and put the other 2 slices bread to close each sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches into the baking dish and soak the sandwiches in the egg mixture for about 10 minutes turning once or twice.
- In a non-stick skillet (10-11-inch), melt butter over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook until bottom sides are golden brown. Turn and cook the other sides until golden brown.
- Place the sandwiches on each serving plate.
- In the same skillet, put walnuts and roast walnuts over medium-low heat tossing the skillet occasionally until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle walnuts over the French toast sandwiches evenly, put whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar over the whipped cream and enjoy!