Whole Wheat, Chip & Coffee Bars
By: Jane M.- Sturgeon Bay, WI - 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
“Moist and flavorful bars that keep well and freeze well too!”
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Elite Espresso 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 C. all purpose flour
- 1 C. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 C. packed brown sugar
- 1 C. cooking oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 C. brewed Door County Coffee Elite Espresso, cooled
- 1 C. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 C. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 C. brewed Door County Coffee Elite Espresso, cooled
- 1 C. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- Beat in brown sugar.
- Add oil, vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Add flours alternating with coffee.
- Beat until well combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 15'x10'x1' baking sheet.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes until firm.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze. Melt butter or margarine and stir in powdered sugar and cooled Door County Coffee until smooth (add water if needed for drizzling consistency).
- Cool bars slightly and drizzle with coffee glaze.
- Cut into bars to serve.
- Makes 36 bars.