Sweet Clementine Affogato
By: Linda Bonwill - World Class Cooking
What is an affogato?
An affogato is an Italian coffee-based dessert. Traditionally, it is one or two scoops of ice cream or gelato "drowned" with a shot or two of strong brewed coffee or espresso. It can be sipped slowly or eaten with a spoon.
You can use any variety of ice cream to make this popular dessert. In this recipe, we used Sweet Clementine Coffee for the ice cream. It bursts with sweet citrus notes and pairs perfectly with a dark roast coffee. We made this recipe really easy to make. There is absolutely no ice cream maker needed. The results, citrus, and creamy texture similar to a creamsicle. Add the shot of coffee, and you will have a dessert or an after-dinner drink all in one.
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured Product: Sweet Clementine 8 oz ground coffee
Sweet Clementine Ice Cream
- 3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ozs sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Door County Sweet Clementine Coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 TBS orange zest
- Clementine wedges for garnish
2 - mixing bowls
freezer safe dish (12 x 12 x 3 inches)
1. In a medium-size mixing bowl, add the heavy cream. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, approx. 5 mins.
2. Mix the sweetened condensed milk, coffee, vanilla, and orange zest in a separate bowl. With a spatula, fold the whipped cream into the coffee mixture a little at a time. Fold and cut through the lumps of the whipped cream but do not whip. Scrape the sides of the bowl with the spatula to get all the cream out from the bowl. Fold until all the ingredients are creamy. (This tip is called tempering the cream).
3. Scoop the cream out of the bowl and add to a 12 x 12 x 3-inch dish. Smooth the top to even it out. Cover the top with plastic wrap, pressing gently to remove any air present. Place the second piece of plastic wrap on top tightly. Freeze for several hours or overnight.